The subordinate legislation that deals with driving in Victoria is about to have its 10th birthday.
All statutory rules these days have sunset clauses to ensure they’re regularly reviewed. It’s time for the current road regulations to be replaced with a new set that will address changes since the last ones were put together.
- Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009
- Road Safety (Drivers) Regulations 2009
- Road Safety (General) Regulations 2009
- Road Safety Road Rules 2009
- Road Safety (Traffic Management) Regulations 2009
- Road Safety (Vehicles) Amendment (Electronic Stability Control and Head Protection Technology) Regulations 2009
They’re expected to come into force some time in the next six months or so. At the moment they’re still at ‘Exposure Draft’ stage, being drafted and circulated for public comment. Only three of them have been released so far.
A summary of all the proposed changes is available at pages 80 – 101 of the Public Consultation Paper. By the sound of it no major changes to the enforcement scheme are intended, just some tweaks here and there.